March 19, 2010

Skiing 80 days for a Milestone Birthday



Sun Peaks, BC - Four years ago when he was 75 years old, Nick Maika skied as many days as his age during the winter season at Sun Peaks Resort.

Today at Sun Peaks, Nick officially hit 80 days on his Sun Peaks seasons pass as he once again celebrates a milestone birthday in 2010. Nick turns 80 years old in August.

Nick is a member of the Sun Peaks Antiques, a group who meet three times a week at the BC Interior resort to ski and share stories of the day. Many of his fellow Antiques were on hand as Nick skied his 80th day.

“I couldn’t have asked for a better day,” Nick said after skiing down to the base of the mountain. “I wanted to do it for myself, and 2010 is a great year to do it. With the Olympics and Paralympics happening this year, it will help me remember that 2010 was also the year I accomplished this.”

Nick’s daughter Frances came up from the Kootenays to ski with her dad on his 80th day.
“I’m super proud and I can only hope to ski 80 times the year I turn 80,” she said. “He’s taught all of us kids not to pay attention to your age.”

No comments:

Post a Comment